Skip to main content

Guardian Angel Blues: Part Two

Hey Uri here again. So that was interesting. This blog got WAY more attention since I took over the writing duties from you know who – mister CTD (crash test dummy) himself – laymo Jaymo. What is it with that kid? Moaning and groaning all the time about wanting to be a writer, and how he is stressed out from work and has no time whatsoever to sit down and put his “enlightened” thoughts on paper. As a matter of fact he’d be much safer if he was at his desk and not running around trying to be Evel Knievel. If you added up all the time in plaster casts and getting stitched up he could’ve written a War & Peace size memoir. Sure would make my job a whole heck of a lot easier if he was sitting still…

So Mike, Gabe, Rafe, and I were Skype-ing each other last night around 3am when our humans were supposedly sleeping. That’s the only time we can rap about stuff. Skype is a friggin’ godsend (from where else?). We don’t show up on the screen cause of course we can’t be seen in this realm – but we see each other no worries. Anyway, we were kinda getting’ philosophical about shit, which is by the way not really our style. We’re more blue collar, meat and potatoes cats and this is sort of a problem when we get all sensitive and misty eyed. The heady, “spiritual”, cosmic, woo-woo crap is left up to the Big Guy (well Big Gal really, but that’s a WHOLE nother blog – shhhh, it’s kinda a secret). Truth be told we’re a bit worried about the humans. Nothing we could really pinpoint but just a hunch ya know?

We wuz talking bout roots. Not ours cause we got wings not roots, but the humans roots, both the physical connection to this planet, and the inner connection to the heart. Ahhhhhhhhh maaaaaan, I’m sorry it hurts to even write like this. I’m getting soft in my immortality. I swing a big bad ass sword cause it feels freakin’ cool and I love cuttin’ shit up – not cause I’m so do gooder. Anywho – I’ll press on. From where we sit (pretty sick view BTW) things on planet earth have gotten a wee bit tweaked. Back in the day it was wooden clubs, a cozy rabbit loin cloth and out running gnarly mastodons. Basic shit right? Now it’s gotten all techy and disconnected from the planet and more connected to each other than ever before. That’s sketchy when you get 6 billion humans all instantly connected to one another. Human beings in groups bigger than 4 are bizarre and this time they are living in is the most inter connected ever.

And in all the acquisitions of “things” the humans are losing heart – or at least their ability to check in and listen to what their heart is saying. Intellect is a beautiful thing in balance. But in the many millenniums I’ve been saving dumb asses like Jamo I’ve noticed that those humans who live connected to their inner world seem to be WAY happier than those ones chasing an illusion on the outside. The by product of which is we are having to step in front of a lot of bullets and damn those things are fast. Way easier when knuckleheads threw rocks at each other, or arrows which btw never ever flew straight. When some guy pegged his enemy with an arrow it was like he won the dang lottery…oh nevermind. I’m digressing.

Listen peeps. Just take a moment to look down at your feet. If you can find a patch of real ground. Take your shoes off (brilliant invention BTW) and wiggle your toes around. Feel this planet under your feet and say ahhhh. What do you humans call it? Oh yeah, Mother Earth. That’s an interesting way to treat poor ol’ momma. Now take your hand and place it over your heart (CENTER of your chest FYI) and feel the drum beat. Yup, that’s your heart pal. Connect to it. Make it your home cause when that baby stops beatin’ it’s curtains Mugsy.

Take a moment to realize you’re one fragile mo-fo living in a very fragile world. Best enjoy each little teenie tiny moment. That’s my advice. And I’ve seen some crazy shite in my day.

Gabe calls me the Prophet of Doom & Gloom. I’d like to think of myself as a loving messenger just delivering the mail.

Anybody home?

Later gator-

Uri

Comments

juro said…
I must have a guardian of some sort. Probably not an angle though. Maybe more in the lines of an elf- like character with a curious smirk and devilish laugh. I am lucky for a number of reasons. To be here still kicking it, but more importantly to have had the freedom to be curious, to explore, to wonder, to do. I’m still a seventies kid, one that had 2 working parents and a 10 mile playground, my town. The youngest of 4, I was off the radar, for the most part. I had a wonderful back yard, An acre of oaks and pines that was my Pump it Up. It was perfectly ok to construct pine needle forts with working tin can and wax fireplaces, go-cart and BMX trails of whoop-de-dos and 4’ jumps, homemade 3M ski ramps for glade runs. A tool shed existed, like most properties, except this one hosted some unique activities of hand-made fireworks production and pyro techniques education. An empty gas can is still very volatile. You know, if you steal starter bullets from the track coach and you aren’t careful grinding out the powder they will pop. Oh yeah, don’t use a safety pin to pick out black powder, nothing safe about it. I had the freedom to play as I wanted to. Thanks M&D, really. That time defined me. That was natural, unmonitored unmanaged time. My mom would come home from work to find me 50’ up in the hemlocks nailing a bench to 2 thin branches. Not very friendly to old growth but it’s still alive too. Something new would be ½ constructed on the front lawn everyday to my parents surprise and embaressment.Chronic non-finisher. No soccer goals on the front lawn, please move it. Later in the teens and in college, the shenanigans still persisted. A borrowed NEW 1989 Oldmobile Cutlass Calais was the perfect vehicle to wail through new England corn fields at 60MPH. Don’t worry about any fence lines or tilled up boulders, that fine USA frame and suspension will protect us. I really should chill out and protect my future. We are the guardians of our genome. Don’t do stupid stuff…..but stupid stuff seemed ok, not that nutty, it still does. Take it from someone who jumped from sapling to sapling like a chimpanzee. Smoked cooking cloves looking for a buzz and snuck Busch beer from dad. Well gotta run, need to call some mom’s and set up a god damn Play Date for tomorrow. Now which kid’s are ok for Jake to play with?

Popular posts from this blog

Losing His Hero

Today in my morning meditation I was strongly feeling my middle brother David who passed away almost two months ago on November 20, 2023. He was 71 years old. A bit of preface here: He also was my abuser growing up (to clarify: emotional and physical, not sexual) and although I had reconciled those experiences through my own inner trauma work we never spoke directly about that time in our lives. We were never very close in our young adulthood although he was very generous when I moved to Encinitas CA to participate in don Miguel Ruiz’s Dreaming School in 2002. He and his wife Carol lived two towns over in Solana Beach. We interacted quite a bit sharing meals and dog walks on the beach and David took a real interest in my son Nick who was 12 at the time. It wasn’t until 20 years later that I became fully aware to the degree of harm I experienced at the hands of my brother while involved in some somatic therapy around my CPTSD diagnosis. I was becoming repeatedly trigg

Waking Up with the What Ifs

Apparently last night I had been dreaming of a life I left behind 11 years ago.  Snippets of memory like peering through a gauzy veil, and scenes vaguely reminiscent of my life as a builder in a small coastal town north of Boston. I woke up with the What Ifs. You know how dreams are: like your eyes can’t completely focus, situations that are seemingly disconnected but maybe not, faces you know but can’t place, yet the feeling in the dream is quite real. I was back in Old Town and trying to figure out why the house I was in was unfinished. There was a meeting to be had there, but it was just me. I walked down a cobbled street to what I figured to be the office of the architect and it was a room of all glass and about 10 people seated around a glass table. I tried to get the attention of the man who was the architect on this particular job without disrupting the meeting. He looked like a friend who wasn’t an architect but a realtor and a neighbor.  I wondered how he switched care

Mindset Like a Dog

This morning after getting the kids off to school I decided to take my dogs for a longer than usual hike on our local mountain. I took a couple big swigs of water, layered up, added hat and gloves, and headed out the gate. The dogs knew what was up and bounced around me, excited and eager for whatever lay ahead. Yet every time they see me putting on my boots it’s like they have never been walked before. Their excitement is fresh. Every day. How is it that they have no idea how long or short I am going to walk them, yet they are always down to walk? I never have to prod them out of their lethargy.  Rain, snow, or sun, they are ready.  Anytime. This got me to wondering what if I adopted this dog mindset? What exactly would that feel like? ******* Recently I’ve felt flat. Not super inspired.  I’m attempting to increase my client base as a Mindset Coach and honestly renovating a 200-year-old house like in my former life feels markedly easier than landing new clients.   It’s the