Skip to main content

Leaving Home - Part Two

So that first leaving home experience wasn’t so bad huh? I ventured into the unknown and found it to be not so scary. Initially that was the case yes. That year between high school and college turned into a bit of a challenge however. I made some really silly (obviously in hindsight) decisions that led me to some experiences that put a damper on my foray into the unknown. And in the years to come I continued to stumble after that brilliant start out of the gate.

But what would wisdom be without the mistakes and failures to inform us and lead us to a place of awareness if we’re so lucky? That’s the keyword however – inform. If you’re like me, then a hard head tends to batter things numerous times before the way around becomes clear. My lessons came hard and fast. I don’t go quietly – never have. It’s all or nothing, 100% conviction, damn the torpedo’s, screw convention, take the path less traveled type of strategies.

Let’s flash forward a couple of decades, multiple relationships, lots of debts, a son, plenty of scars both emotional and physical, and at least half a dozen near death experiences. Not to say it was all wreckage and disaster – it wasn’t. But underneath my battered facade I was getting tired of repeating myself and getting the same results. What’s that adage? The definition of stupidity is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result? Something like that. That was me.

Anyway by the time I reached 40 years on the planet I was ready for a change from that behavior. I thought maybe convention wasn’t so bad. Maybe that worn path was worth following. Maybe my head was better off not being used to ram things. Maybe I’d just settle down and live a quiet life of…desperation? Normalcy? Why not I thought. I’m done searching for the Holy Grail of Happiness. Fug it.

Well guess what? Life had other ideas (duh!). Just when I was ready to show my belly I got cold cocked. My heart got broke again and as I sat there in the midst of my shattered dreams and hopes I had a bit of an awakening. Maybe one of those once in a lifetime sparks of self awareness. It was this: ok this place seems really familiar (heartbreak). What if for once in my life I don’t rush to recreate the structure called Jamie so quickly. What if I look and SEE how I might reassemble in a new way. That my fine friends, that little tiny spark ended up burning my whole inner house down. Sometimes in Nature a fire happens to restore order and beauty and balance. In my case that’s what happened.

So dear reader you may be asking what the heck this all has to do with leaving home? Good question. That ignition of awareness propelled me to take a journey that altered my direction for the remainder of my life. However it required leaving home again – my newly adapted coastal home. I had lived here for 5 years and experienced some of the most brilliant and challenging moments of my life. I had found the place I felt like I belonged, people I connected with – a community – a true sense of home. And now I was pulled to leave to go on another journey – one that felt like Life or Death, Now or Never. To move all the way across country to California and a destiny yet to be determined. I knew I had to go, had to against all good judgment leave the Known again for the Unknown. For some reason it felt like my roots were being ripped from the ground and I was dying for nourishment.

I’m not ashamed to admit I cried most of the way driving across country. Cried for the leaving of friends and family. Cried for the sad state called my creation – my life. Cried for being 40 years old and having to take another journey into what? To where?

You got it – the Unknown. But guess what? It was even better than that first time so many years ago. The changes that came about inside me as a result of that leaving home part two were lasting and radically transformational. Life altering actually.

And you wanna know the best part? I came back home. Back to my beloved seaside community when I learned once and for all that all I can ever do is embrace the not knowing and love it.

Wow. I’ll never doubt the Unknown again.

Ever.

Again.

J

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Losing His Hero

Today in my morning meditation I was strongly feeling my middle brother David who passed away almost two months ago on November 20, 2023. He was 71 years old. A bit of preface here: He also was my abuser growing up (to clarify: emotional and physical, not sexual) and although I had reconciled those experiences through my own inner trauma work we never spoke directly about that time in our lives. We were never very close in our young adulthood although he was very generous when I moved to Encinitas CA to participate in don Miguel Ruiz’s Dreaming School in 2002. He and his wife Carol lived two towns over in Solana Beach. We interacted quite a bit sharing meals and dog walks on the beach and David took a real interest in my son Nick who was 12 at the time. It wasn’t until 20 years later that I became fully aware to the degree of harm I experienced at the hands of my brother while involved in some somatic therapy around my CPTSD diagnosis. I was becoming repeatedly trigg

Waking Up with the What Ifs

Apparently last night I had been dreaming of a life I left behind 11 years ago.  Snippets of memory like peering through a gauzy veil, and scenes vaguely reminiscent of my life as a builder in a small coastal town north of Boston. I woke up with the What Ifs. You know how dreams are: like your eyes can’t completely focus, situations that are seemingly disconnected but maybe not, faces you know but can’t place, yet the feeling in the dream is quite real. I was back in Old Town and trying to figure out why the house I was in was unfinished. There was a meeting to be had there, but it was just me. I walked down a cobbled street to what I figured to be the office of the architect and it was a room of all glass and about 10 people seated around a glass table. I tried to get the attention of the man who was the architect on this particular job without disrupting the meeting. He looked like a friend who wasn’t an architect but a realtor and a neighbor.  I wondered how he switched care

Mindset Like a Dog

This morning after getting the kids off to school I decided to take my dogs for a longer than usual hike on our local mountain. I took a couple big swigs of water, layered up, added hat and gloves, and headed out the gate. The dogs knew what was up and bounced around me, excited and eager for whatever lay ahead. Yet every time they see me putting on my boots it’s like they have never been walked before. Their excitement is fresh. Every day. How is it that they have no idea how long or short I am going to walk them, yet they are always down to walk? I never have to prod them out of their lethargy.  Rain, snow, or sun, they are ready.  Anytime. This got me to wondering what if I adopted this dog mindset? What exactly would that feel like? ******* Recently I’ve felt flat. Not super inspired.  I’m attempting to increase my client base as a Mindset Coach and honestly renovating a 200-year-old house like in my former life feels markedly easier than landing new clients.   It’s the