Skip to main content

Teach an old dog a new trick

I know, I know, again with the disappearing act. My sincere apologies. I have no excuse except that the words and inspiration have their own timeframe. Anyway.

I’ve been thinking about the ability to change. To change when things just aren’t going well, or when aspects of our creation (see: Life) no longer feel good either physically, emotionally, or even socially (see: Globally).

How is it that we live our lives so smartly and assuredly and then reach a point when we look up from our day and say, “huh?” "Where did the time go?" Or as David Byrne sings, “how did I get here…?” Or "who am I?" Ok, deep questions for so early in the day but isn’t it just like that? How do we become the catalyst for our own evolution? Or in my case how do you teach an old dog a new trick?

Can’t be done you say? I beg to differ. This old dog awoke one day and saw for a brief moment that I had literally created all the circumstances in my life – including the ones that were at that time bringing me much suffering. In a flash that will always be remembered I looked at my hands and saw that they held the power to create. Create anything. Really? Yes absolutely.

Create a new life, a new relationship, a new business model, a new awareness, and a new sense of responsibility. And all stemming from the inside, on a cellular level. Not running off to the barber, or the Gap, or the gym, though those changes are fine if you want to. But more of: how do I want to feel each moment (good) and how do I achieve that immediately? How do I stop making decisions that adversely affect the quality of my life and make new ones that inspire me to feel harmonious and content?

Just a warning: old dogs can certainly put up a fight while learning new tricks. I think that’s normal. But if that old dog has the desire (THE DESIRE!) to learn a new trick then that’s 90% of the battle. In my case I peeled off any layer that felt constricting and uncomfortable. I tried to get down to what was real in me, to make friends with whatever happened in the past, and be present for whatever was happening in the moment. It was not an overnight transition but one that took nurturing and care. One that took a little patience.

Teach the dog something new, and then give him a little reward – a biscuit maybe – to let him know he’s going in the right direction.

I recently read an interview with Jeff Swartz the CEO of Timberland (September issue of Fast Company magazine). What a fascinating guy. All about bringing social awareness to every aspect of his very large company. At the end of the interview he speaks about looking at the creative power in our own hands and the recognition that that power IS in our hands. I love that sense of responsibility now. That unlimited possibility in the openness of our very own hands.

An "old" friend who lives out west left me a VM late last night on my cell phone. I could hear the emotion in his voice as he spoke about some difficult changes going on in his life. As I listened to his message this morning the word opportunity kept popping up in my mind. I can’t wait to talk to him later today.

I love seeing an old graying dog learn a new trick or two.

Woof.

J

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Losing His Hero

Today in my morning meditation I was strongly feeling my middle brother David who passed away almost two months ago on November 20, 2023. He was 71 years old. A bit of preface here: He also was my abuser growing up (to clarify: emotional and physical, not sexual) and although I had reconciled those experiences through my own inner trauma work we never spoke directly about that time in our lives. We were never very close in our young adulthood although he was very generous when I moved to Encinitas CA to participate in don Miguel Ruiz’s Dreaming School in 2002. He and his wife Carol lived two towns over in Solana Beach. We interacted quite a bit sharing meals and dog walks on the beach and David took a real interest in my son Nick who was 12 at the time. It wasn’t until 20 years later that I became fully aware to the degree of harm I experienced at the hands of my brother while involved in some somatic therapy around my CPTSD diagnosis. I was becoming repeatedly trigg

Waking Up with the What Ifs

Apparently last night I had been dreaming of a life I left behind 11 years ago.  Snippets of memory like peering through a gauzy veil, and scenes vaguely reminiscent of my life as a builder in a small coastal town north of Boston. I woke up with the What Ifs. You know how dreams are: like your eyes can’t completely focus, situations that are seemingly disconnected but maybe not, faces you know but can’t place, yet the feeling in the dream is quite real. I was back in Old Town and trying to figure out why the house I was in was unfinished. There was a meeting to be had there, but it was just me. I walked down a cobbled street to what I figured to be the office of the architect and it was a room of all glass and about 10 people seated around a glass table. I tried to get the attention of the man who was the architect on this particular job without disrupting the meeting. He looked like a friend who wasn’t an architect but a realtor and a neighbor.  I wondered how he switched care

Mindset Like a Dog

This morning after getting the kids off to school I decided to take my dogs for a longer than usual hike on our local mountain. I took a couple big swigs of water, layered up, added hat and gloves, and headed out the gate. The dogs knew what was up and bounced around me, excited and eager for whatever lay ahead. Yet every time they see me putting on my boots it’s like they have never been walked before. Their excitement is fresh. Every day. How is it that they have no idea how long or short I am going to walk them, yet they are always down to walk? I never have to prod them out of their lethargy.  Rain, snow, or sun, they are ready.  Anytime. This got me to wondering what if I adopted this dog mindset? What exactly would that feel like? ******* Recently I’ve felt flat. Not super inspired.  I’m attempting to increase my client base as a Mindset Coach and honestly renovating a 200-year-old house like in my former life feels markedly easier than landing new clients.   It’s the