Skip to main content

Run Fat Boy, Run

My apologies in advance to anyone who is offended by this title. But I’m sure you’ll get over it and here’s why. I watched a movie last night by this name. Pretty predictable, sometimes funny story of redemption set in London. The main character is not really fat per se (just a decent paunch), he’s just a slacker who has put his demons out of sight which essentially keeps him from being happy and living the life he wants.

I saw a great deal of my former self in this character and maybe a little residue still there in my current self. Y’all know by now I love stories of redemption and transformation. To me that’s why we’re “here”. Not to live like a rock, static and unchanging (sorry to you rocks out there), but living engaged, flowing and inquisitive and unafraid to shift a point of view or belief (sometimes seemingly as solid as stone).

Without giving away the plot for those of you about to put it at the top of your Netflix cue, a marathon is used as a metaphor for the main characters inability to finish anything. When he is tested he tends to run the other way. How many times have I done the same thing when faced with situations that are unpleasant or choices that no longer feel good? Lots of times, suffice to say. But I’m getting better at letting myself hit the wall so to speak and not feel like it’s insurmountable, or even wondering why I’m still hitting walls after all these years of self improvement. A wall is an opportunity.

So as I watched this movie I was struck by the constant give and take Life offers us. Sometimes it takes things from us and we are devastated. And sometimes a gift is bestowed in the form of a challenge. By accepting the challenge and the gift we get a chance to unveil the real present - a chance to know ourselves better, to bust through that wall and to see that what is on the other side is so much more powerful than the wall itself. With the faith that we have in Life, in ourselves, we get better at finding our stride and maintaining it. And when we don’t find our stride – like this week for me (sore back, sore shoulder, bad cold, and not at all into working) – we’re ok with the chance to say alright, I can deal with this right now. It’s not forever and it’s not the end of the world.

Like running a marathon, there will be moments that feel really difficult. Yet by putting one foot in front of the other the finish line is reached. I know, I know this sounds like pablum, but sometimes those simple truths are there for a reason – they make sense. This week has been tough for me. Yet if I listen to what my body is saying and really listen, then I’ll rest. I won’t get everything done I wanted to. I won’t be the Johnny-on-the-spot general contractor. I won’t ride my bicycle this week. Instead I might even sleep during the day. Oh well.

You know what? I’m still in the race. I’m just pausing. Taking stock and listening. And best of all I’m not running the other direction.

Ok I gotta say it again. Run fat boy, run.

Have a great Thursday. And enjoy the run!

J

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Losing His Hero

Today in my morning meditation I was strongly feeling my middle brother David who passed away almost two months ago on November 20, 2023. He was 71 years old. A bit of preface here: He also was my abuser growing up (to clarify: emotional and physical, not sexual) and although I had reconciled those experiences through my own inner trauma work we never spoke directly about that time in our lives. We were never very close in our young adulthood although he was very generous when I moved to Encinitas CA to participate in don Miguel Ruiz’s Dreaming School in 2002. He and his wife Carol lived two towns over in Solana Beach. We interacted quite a bit sharing meals and dog walks on the beach and David took a real interest in my son Nick who was 12 at the time. It wasn’t until 20 years later that I became fully aware to the degree of harm I experienced at the hands of my brother while involved in some somatic therapy around my CPTSD diagnosis. I was becoming repeatedly trigg

Waking Up with the What Ifs

Apparently last night I had been dreaming of a life I left behind 11 years ago.  Snippets of memory like peering through a gauzy veil, and scenes vaguely reminiscent of my life as a builder in a small coastal town north of Boston. I woke up with the What Ifs. You know how dreams are: like your eyes can’t completely focus, situations that are seemingly disconnected but maybe not, faces you know but can’t place, yet the feeling in the dream is quite real. I was back in Old Town and trying to figure out why the house I was in was unfinished. There was a meeting to be had there, but it was just me. I walked down a cobbled street to what I figured to be the office of the architect and it was a room of all glass and about 10 people seated around a glass table. I tried to get the attention of the man who was the architect on this particular job without disrupting the meeting. He looked like a friend who wasn’t an architect but a realtor and a neighbor.  I wondered how he switched care

Mindset Like a Dog

This morning after getting the kids off to school I decided to take my dogs for a longer than usual hike on our local mountain. I took a couple big swigs of water, layered up, added hat and gloves, and headed out the gate. The dogs knew what was up and bounced around me, excited and eager for whatever lay ahead. Yet every time they see me putting on my boots it’s like they have never been walked before. Their excitement is fresh. Every day. How is it that they have no idea how long or short I am going to walk them, yet they are always down to walk? I never have to prod them out of their lethargy.  Rain, snow, or sun, they are ready.  Anytime. This got me to wondering what if I adopted this dog mindset? What exactly would that feel like? ******* Recently I’ve felt flat. Not super inspired.  I’m attempting to increase my client base as a Mindset Coach and honestly renovating a 200-year-old house like in my former life feels markedly easier than landing new clients.   It’s the