Skip to main content

Bloom Where You Are Planted

As some of you may know, I just returned from six days in Arizona and Utah. It was a most needed mental health holiday or “Mancation” as I called it. Just two good friends, two high powered motorcycles, and miles and miles of wide open roads and endless brilliant blue sky.

It was of course, an amazing Trip.

The other thing some of you also may know about me is that I occasionally dream of living out West again. It has this tractor beam pull on my soul and in a low but constant whisper continually calls to me…come back, come back my son. There will always be piece of my spirit that is part wild mustang yearning for that unencumbered spacious and open land; the constant horizon of mountains in the distance, little white puffy clouds, and piercing blue sky like a grandmothers loving eyes filled with wisdom and compassion.

Yet here I am living about as east as one possibly could without stepping into the Atlantic Ocean. Go figure.

But something shifted inside me on this trip. No doubt the land of the southwest pulled me close like a lover. And I was filled with that deep appreciation of her beauty. Yet this time I could experience that beauty without wanting to live in it all the time. The West is undergoing a deep transformation on the human scale. Of course the landscape has seen the man made drama played out over time and has remained stoic for millennium. Yet it was this human drama that I kept hearing about. The stories of economic doom, of loss, of hardship. Those stories seemed a constant thread woven throughout this recent western trip of mine.

Gradually my journey became not so much a scouting party for a possible relocation, but one about a deep appreciation for where I live and where I am in my life right now.

A sense of gratitude for where I am internally right now as well as where I physically live – right here where I have put down roots – this small New England coastal town.

The further and faster I went into the Heart of the West, the closer I came to that feeling of Gratitude for the place I call home. It is a good and special place. All the stress and frustration that was dogging me most of the winter dissolved. All the wondering about living here or not living here vanished into the azure sky.

Part of me couldn’t wait to get home.

I ran into a friend the day after my return and we were talking about my trip and I was sharing with him some of my realizations. He said that he struggled with some of the same issues of living in this community where everyone knows each other while living so tightly packed together. Then he shared how he recently found a fortune cookie fortune tucked into the headliner of an old Toyota pick up a mutual friend of ours had sold him 10 years ago.

It said: bloom where you are planted.

Bloom where you are planted. That phrase made a lot of sense to me.

I feel like I am planted here now.

I feel like it’s time to bloom here now.

Driving home from the airport upon my arrival back in Boston, I noticed all the trees had brilliant green new leaves. All the shrubs were flowering white and yellow and pink. Red and yellow tulips were coloring the gardens in front of the homes I passed.

I came home to my garden. Ready to bloom once again.

xoxo,
J

Comments

Rose said…
Powerful Stuff Jamie! Really deep :) I guess there is really something to say about that thing of being in the moment. Thanks for the reminder. Glad Your Home Too!
Stress Relief said…
Beautiful thoughts and pictures... Thanks Jamie

Popular posts from this blog

Losing His Hero

Today in my morning meditation I was strongly feeling my middle brother David who passed away almost two months ago on November 20, 2023. He was 71 years old. A bit of preface here: He also was my abuser growing up (to clarify: emotional and physical, not sexual) and although I had reconciled those experiences through my own inner trauma work we never spoke directly about that time in our lives. We were never very close in our young adulthood although he was very generous when I moved to Encinitas CA to participate in don Miguel Ruiz’s Dreaming School in 2002. He and his wife Carol lived two towns over in Solana Beach. We interacted quite a bit sharing meals and dog walks on the beach and David took a real interest in my son Nick who was 12 at the time. It wasn’t until 20 years later that I became fully aware to the degree of harm I experienced at the hands of my brother while involved in some somatic therapy around my CPTSD diagnosis. I was becoming repeatedly trigg

Waking Up with the What Ifs

Apparently last night I had been dreaming of a life I left behind 11 years ago.  Snippets of memory like peering through a gauzy veil, and scenes vaguely reminiscent of my life as a builder in a small coastal town north of Boston. I woke up with the What Ifs. You know how dreams are: like your eyes can’t completely focus, situations that are seemingly disconnected but maybe not, faces you know but can’t place, yet the feeling in the dream is quite real. I was back in Old Town and trying to figure out why the house I was in was unfinished. There was a meeting to be had there, but it was just me. I walked down a cobbled street to what I figured to be the office of the architect and it was a room of all glass and about 10 people seated around a glass table. I tried to get the attention of the man who was the architect on this particular job without disrupting the meeting. He looked like a friend who wasn’t an architect but a realtor and a neighbor.  I wondered how he switched care

Mindset Like a Dog

This morning after getting the kids off to school I decided to take my dogs for a longer than usual hike on our local mountain. I took a couple big swigs of water, layered up, added hat and gloves, and headed out the gate. The dogs knew what was up and bounced around me, excited and eager for whatever lay ahead. Yet every time they see me putting on my boots it’s like they have never been walked before. Their excitement is fresh. Every day. How is it that they have no idea how long or short I am going to walk them, yet they are always down to walk? I never have to prod them out of their lethargy.  Rain, snow, or sun, they are ready.  Anytime. This got me to wondering what if I adopted this dog mindset? What exactly would that feel like? ******* Recently I’ve felt flat. Not super inspired.  I’m attempting to increase my client base as a Mindset Coach and honestly renovating a 200-year-old house like in my former life feels markedly easier than landing new clients.   It’s the