Skip to main content

Mindset Like a Dog

This morning after getting the kids off to school I decided to take my dogs for a longer than usual hike on our local mountain. I took a couple big swigs of water, layered up, added hat and gloves, and headed out the gate.

The dogs knew what was up and bounced around me, excited and eager for whatever lay ahead. Yet every time they see me putting on my boots it’s like they have never been walked before. Their excitement is fresh. Every day.

How is it that they have no idea how long or short I am going to walk them, yet they are always down to walk? I never have to prod them out of their lethargy.  Rain, snow, or sun, they are ready.  Anytime. This got me to wondering what if I adopted this dog mindset? What exactly would that feel like?

*******

Recently I’ve felt flat. Not super inspired.  I’m attempting to increase my client base as a Mindset Coach and honestly renovating a 200-year-old house like in my former life feels markedly easier than landing new clients.

  It’s the end of February so maybe that contributes to this sense of same old routine, that flatness.  Same old mindset.  It feels like work to keep my body and mind in a positive and uplifted place.  Should it be work? Or maybe something else?

*******

I walked down the dirt lane that leads to the trails and as I watched the dogs trotting ahead this thought occurred to me: what do they know that I don’t?

What would that feel like to live their mindset?  I watched them closely to see what wisdom they would impart.

Here’s what I saw-

*They are always ready for whatever adventure lies ahead. No story about what it will be like – just totally present.

*They are constantly curious…nose to the ground downloading various smells.

*When I stop and take in the view they also stop, sit, and perceive.

*This feeling of presence that they convey – not living in the past or speculating about the future. Right now.  Are we running? Resting? Ok great…we are here. Now.

*******

As I did my best to merge with these dogs and their way of being I saw how easily I derail myself from this place of “now”.  How I take myself out of perceiving what is around me, what new experiences are available, without the past or future concerns influencing me and the ability to be completely present with the moment.

How I can I too be curious about the path I am on – nose metaphorically to the ground receiving information about my surroundings, my world?

What if each day that I wake up I channel that same excitement my dogs do when they know a walk is coming?

Semper paratus for what Life brings. Woof.

*******

Now can I get a biscuit for being a good boy?!!!

  Jamie Gilroy is a Mindset Coach working with men to unlock their fullest potential. Are you looking to tweak and improve some issues in your life? Are you interested in a free clarity call to investigate working with Jamie? Email him at jbgilroy@icloud.com Check out his website to learn more about the work he does: https://jamesbgilroy.com

Comments

Meghan Gilroy said…
So well written! Woof! And thanks for the present you brought back.
Beautiful reflection Jamie! And such a beautiful way to practice living our lives!
Hubz Team said…
Barkelous!!! Exactemente!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Losing His Hero

Today in my morning meditation I was strongly feeling my middle brother David who passed away almost two months ago on November 20, 2023. He was 71 years old. A bit of preface here: He also was my abuser growing up (to clarify: emotional and physical, not sexual) and although I had reconciled those experiences through my own inner trauma work we never spoke directly about that time in our lives. We were never very close in our young adulthood although he was very generous when I moved to Encinitas CA to participate in don Miguel Ruiz’s Dreaming School in 2002. He and his wife Carol lived two towns over in Solana Beach. We interacted quite a bit sharing meals and dog walks on the beach and David took a real interest in my son Nick who was 12 at the time. It wasn’t until 20 years later that I became fully aware to the degree of harm I experienced at the hands of my brother while involved in some somatic therapy around my CPTSD diagnosis. I was becoming repeatedly trigg

Waking Up with the What Ifs

Apparently last night I had been dreaming of a life I left behind 11 years ago.  Snippets of memory like peering through a gauzy veil, and scenes vaguely reminiscent of my life as a builder in a small coastal town north of Boston. I woke up with the What Ifs. You know how dreams are: like your eyes can’t completely focus, situations that are seemingly disconnected but maybe not, faces you know but can’t place, yet the feeling in the dream is quite real. I was back in Old Town and trying to figure out why the house I was in was unfinished. There was a meeting to be had there, but it was just me. I walked down a cobbled street to what I figured to be the office of the architect and it was a room of all glass and about 10 people seated around a glass table. I tried to get the attention of the man who was the architect on this particular job without disrupting the meeting. He looked like a friend who wasn’t an architect but a realtor and a neighbor.  I wondered how he switched care