Skip to main content

Seek and Ye Shall Find (Part Two)

As I sat amongst the sage and rabbitbrush and red earth of New Mexico I watched the tarantula as it delicately made its way towards me, almost like touching the ground was painful. Or more likely maybe I was the one in pain.

I had wandered off after our lunch break to find that certain special spot on the land where I could attempt to come to an understanding of why my world was simultaneously collapsing and expanding, leaving me feeling open, raw, exposed, and exhilarated. As I watched the spider getting closer all my past associations of big hairy arachnids sped through my brain like a highlight horror reel. Should I move, I thought absently. Some force kept me sitting cross legged on the ground watching this really beautiful rare thing tip-toe towards me.

Beautiful? Get the fuck up and run man! This Dreaming workshop must be draining me of all sense!

I sat there dumbstruck at my immobility. When the tarantula was about a foot from me it made a hard right turn and crawled away. It might have been the rush of the wind off the mountains or me exhaling, I’m not sure which.

Later that night when I mentioned this little interaction to my teacher Barbara, she smiled and said “oh honey, they are way more afraid of you”. Good thing cause I may have had a heart attack if it started crawling up my leg.

So here I was with a group of 30 other men and women who had decided they wanted something different in their lives and had come to this lovely property outside Santa Fe New Mexico to discover what that was – or better yet – what that “different” felt like.

Myself? I had packed up my life in New England six months earlier and moved west to Southern California to study with a man whose book I had innocently plucked off a local bookstore shelf (I liked the cover), put on my nightstand untouched for 9 months (symbolism intended), read in one sitting the night my then wife came home and said “I’m leaving”. She left and I read the book again. No lie. I married this beautiful woman just 10 months earlier. She loved my son Nick. I figured this relationship was “it”. I had sworn off any spiritual seeking (silly I know) and was content to just be a “regular guy” (cue the horror flick music). Big, big mistake. I was still running my “hero program” that was all about rescuing and was sure I could fix whatever this lovely woman was suffering from (admittedly she had some issues but so did I, duh). Lurking in the shadows was the Universe waiting to bestow the coup de grace at just the perfect moment. That moment when the sculptor administers just the right hammer strike, forcefully but with intent, and reveals the beautiful creation behind the hard façade…BOOM!

That was my heart cracking wide open. I was 42 years old, divorced again, had a 10 year old son, was in debt, and now alone. Again. If that doesn’t wake you up I don’t know what will. As I sat in the rubble of (yet) another heart break I vowed that this was the last time. It truly felt like Life or Death at that point. I no longer wanted to be at the mercy of my beliefs. I no longer wanted to feel like I was worthless. I no longer wanted to give away Love and be devastated when it wasn’t returned. From where I sit now my ex-wife was my best spiritual teacher yet. Her simple act of leaving me sent me on a journey that can be only described as exquisitely divine. Why?

Because I learned about who I truly am. I discovered the human capacity to transcend. I finally understood what is this crazy little word called Love. I discovered my connection to Life is ever present and like a lamp cord that is plugged in fully accessing the current and can only be unplugged by me.

Nobody has that power to diminish my light other than me.

Sure there are a million reasons we can disagree with that statement but really when you stare down the Truth you’ll see it’s all you baby. What we believe, what we choose to think is what creates who we are. Many of you reading this may nod your head and already know this. Fantastic! Kudos to you. Many of you may want whatever drug I’m on. I’m not on any. And some may shake your head doubting what I’ve written. And that is ok.

All I know is if you seek, you will find. And what you find may not look at all like what you were expecting.

But guess what? I bet it’s even better than what you expected it would be.

So maybe there is a part three to all this rambling, huh? I bet you all want to know what the book was and how an emotionally crippled man drove crying all the way from Massachusetts to California and one short year later drove back with his beloved and began a dream of abundance and Love and Life so sweet.

Right back where I started from.

Thanks for reading!

Comments

Rose said…
AHHH so perfectly written. Thank You Jamie, some how just the perfect Energy to take with me to TEO. See You at the Top of the SUN my love.

Popular posts from this blog

Losing His Hero

Today in my morning meditation I was strongly feeling my middle brother David who passed away almost two months ago on November 20, 2023. He was 71 years old. A bit of preface here: He also was my abuser growing up (to clarify: emotional and physical, not sexual) and although I had reconciled those experiences through my own inner trauma work we never spoke directly about that time in our lives. We were never very close in our young adulthood although he was very generous when I moved to Encinitas CA to participate in don Miguel Ruiz’s Dreaming School in 2002. He and his wife Carol lived two towns over in Solana Beach. We interacted quite a bit sharing meals and dog walks on the beach and David took a real interest in my son Nick who was 12 at the time. It wasn’t until 20 years later that I became fully aware to the degree of harm I experienced at the hands of my brother while involved in some somatic therapy around my CPTSD diagnosis. I was becoming repeatedly trigg

Waking Up with the What Ifs

Apparently last night I had been dreaming of a life I left behind 11 years ago.  Snippets of memory like peering through a gauzy veil, and scenes vaguely reminiscent of my life as a builder in a small coastal town north of Boston. I woke up with the What Ifs. You know how dreams are: like your eyes can’t completely focus, situations that are seemingly disconnected but maybe not, faces you know but can’t place, yet the feeling in the dream is quite real. I was back in Old Town and trying to figure out why the house I was in was unfinished. There was a meeting to be had there, but it was just me. I walked down a cobbled street to what I figured to be the office of the architect and it was a room of all glass and about 10 people seated around a glass table. I tried to get the attention of the man who was the architect on this particular job without disrupting the meeting. He looked like a friend who wasn’t an architect but a realtor and a neighbor.  I wondered how he switched care

Mindset Like a Dog

This morning after getting the kids off to school I decided to take my dogs for a longer than usual hike on our local mountain. I took a couple big swigs of water, layered up, added hat and gloves, and headed out the gate. The dogs knew what was up and bounced around me, excited and eager for whatever lay ahead. Yet every time they see me putting on my boots it’s like they have never been walked before. Their excitement is fresh. Every day. How is it that they have no idea how long or short I am going to walk them, yet they are always down to walk? I never have to prod them out of their lethargy.  Rain, snow, or sun, they are ready.  Anytime. This got me to wondering what if I adopted this dog mindset? What exactly would that feel like? ******* Recently I’ve felt flat. Not super inspired.  I’m attempting to increase my client base as a Mindset Coach and honestly renovating a 200-year-old house like in my former life feels markedly easier than landing new clients.   It’s the