Skip to main content

Gloom & Doom

Wow, has it really been 2 weeks since my last post? My mom must think I’m dead even though she lives right around the corner from us and sees me frequently. She pretty much relies on my blog to know what’s up with me. Hi ma! Your boy’s alive & well.

So what’s with the gloom and doom headline? Well for starters there’s been this funky weather front stalled over New England making the skies dark and threatening and the humidity high. Rain, thunder, lightning as a looming presence. And people just seem to always talk about it. That’s one part of the G & D.

The other is the news. Both the kind you read and the kind you hear. The stock market is most enjoyable to observe. Watch the gossip, then watch the reaction. The economy, the fear, the wars, the up coming presidential race, the housing market, the doping in the Tour, the slumping Red Sox. Oh they won last night – cool.

Anyway, I’m not buying it. Any of it. And why would I? Do I need to feed off of the negativity? Do I need to create a place inside me that reflects the headlines or what people share with each other on the street? Definitely not. Do I need to throw a bone to the collective fear that’s running around a little planet?

Nope. And here’s why. It doesn’t feel good when I buy into the hype. Meaning like good inside my little human type of feeling good. So you’re dying to know how to achieve this blissful state?

Here’s a start: take some positive action. Walk your dog. Leave a Love note to your beloved (you, your honey, your dog, your kids, your boss, etc.). Go curl up on a couch with a book. Watch your favorite movie. Call an old friend and say “hey”. Take a 12 hour motorcycle ride and come home smiling and wet. See the freaking glass as half full. But most of all be so grateful that you are here in this moment in this time and you have a choice. A choice to participate in the game of woe. Or play in the game of creativity. That’s really entirely up to you. No one else.

Now is such an opportune time to be in creation mode. Creating something brand new and original inside yourself. Another Shiny Happy Person perhaps.

Or not. The Gloom and Doom is right there waiting…

Mind your attention.

J

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life: Italian Style

This morning I woke up feeling just like I have the entire past month. Dog tired (even after eight hours sleep) and lacking the morning fire I’m so accustomed to. I could feel my frustration build as I mentally scrolled through all that I have to do today. It got even worse when I visited a couple of projects we have going and saw things either not moving fast enough (according to me) or done the way I wanted (again, according to me). Ahhhh. Yet again another beautiful day off to an ugly start. I mean obviously all the ugliness is inside of me as the rest of the world is clearly oblivious to my inner turmoil. That’s cool. So I stopped by the Atomic Café for my morning cappuccino (yeah, yeah, I got it rough huh?) which Andrew so generously gave to me no charge. That was the beginning of a subtle shift inside me. Mellissa was bopping around behind the cash register and I could feel the energy just crackling off of her as she greeted customers as if each one was her favorite pers...

Waking Up with the What Ifs

Apparently last night I had been dreaming of a life I left behind 11 years ago.  Snippets of memory like peering through a gauzy veil, and scenes vaguely reminiscent of my life as a builder in a small coastal town north of Boston. I woke up with the What Ifs. You know how dreams are: like your eyes can’t completely focus, situations that are seemingly disconnected but maybe not, faces you know but can’t place, yet the feeling in the dream is quite real. I was back in Old Town and trying to figure out why the house I was in was unfinished. There was a meeting to be had there, but it was just me. I walked down a cobbled street to what I figured to be the office of the architect and it was a room of all glass and about 10 people seated around a glass table. I tried to get the attention of the man who was the architect on this particular job without disrupting the meeting. He looked like a friend who wasn’t an architect but a realtor and a neighbor.  I wondered how he switched care...

Cold Turkey Ain’t All Bad

Warning: If you’re young and healthy and never think about getting older and the world is your oyster and you are under 50 don’t read any further.     “Going cold turkey”.  The connotation is that we are giving something up.  Usually for good.  Things like heroin, or booze, or Oxy.  Things that really aren’t that good for you.   My cold turkey moment was bicycles.  Wait.  Aren’t bikes supposed to be good for you?  Yes, absolutely in theory.   However, in my case, not so much.  Of course, I loved the feeling of riding a bicycle – the rush of the wind, the freedom of motion, the ability to push my limits, and the boost in fitness.   All healthy benefits for sure. Except when crashes happen.  They will and they do. Typically, it’s some road rash or bloody knees and elbows with dirt applied. In my case it’s been all the usual get offs plus head trauma. It’s the “plus head trauma” that has me hanging up the bike for good.  I just can’t seem to keep from bashing my head when I do ...