Skip to main content

Extended Play

Remember when we were in high school playing the best (and only) video game Pong and…oh wait a minute I just totally dated myself. No Gen X’er here. A Boomer for sure. Yikes! But regardless of how old I am, remember when you got enough points at whatever game you were playing to go into “extended play”? That part of the game where you were given another chance to keep playing, keep amassing more credits to continue on into Unchartered Territory. The excitement of going past the point you thought possible – opportunity to play some more like an unexpected gift. Well that’s how I live these days.

Just about 18 years ago I almost died. Out of all of my numerous near death experiences, this one felt like The End for sure. To make a very long story much shorter; I was on a mountain bike ride with two friends in Montclair New Jersey and the trail we were riding was along the edge of a cliff. I had ridden this trail a thousand times before but never in the direction we rode that day. The trail started at the base of a cliff and wound around to its highest point of maybe 60-70 feet off the ground. We started climbing parallel to the cliff and eventually the trail turned down to the right and towards the woods. Well I’m sure you know what happened next, correct? Yup. I didn’t go right but straight and I fell off the cliff on my bike. I wasn’t sure at what height I was going off at but was pretty positive it was high enough that I was going to die. In the eternity that it seemed like I had before launching over the precipice, I was in total denial about what was going to happen. I tried unsuccessfully to stop short of the edge (I remember thinking how odd it was my brakes didn’t work). At the last minute every ounce of adrenaline kicked in and I stretched out towards a small sapling at the top of the cliff hoping it would hold me. The next instant I was falling. Now everyone thinks you will get a millisecond review of your entire career from birth to that now unexpected death moment. For me everything went black and I felt myself totally relax. For some reason I was aware of the seconds passing as I fell. I hit the ground hard and opened my eyes to see my bike land next to me and continue bouncing down the rest of the slope. I tried to stand up but couldn’t and then fell back staring up at the gray sky. I was alive. At least I thought I was, or maybe I was dreaming I was alive. Maybe this is Death, I thought but why would my Yo Eddy Fat Chance mountain bike be with me in the afterlife? I pondered this until I heard my buddy Geoff minutes later screaming, “O my god, O MY GOD, HELP!!!!” Then I knew I was still here on Earth. What I didn’t know then but am fully aware of now is this: I got extended play in the Game of Life. I fell 35 feet (luckily only midway to the highest point), landed flat on my back and suffered a severed patella tendon (no idea how). That’s it. My bike suffered a flat rear tire and 3 weeks later I was riding the same bike with my right leg in a cast hanging off to one side as I pedaled around the yard lefty. Also, what I didn’t comprehend then and I definitely do now is that I got to do things differently this time around. It didn’t miraculously happen in one near death instant, but those things that I had been wishing for my whole life coalesced in a split second that rainy July afternoon. Let’s say the seed of those things I yearned for were planted that day and it has taken time for that seed (for me really) to grow into the life I yearned for. It has happened, and I am forever grateful for that day years ago. It woke me up.

I got to thinking about that day of my “second chance” after reading about the US Air flight that crash landed in the Hudson River. How beautiful a story! How totally miraculous that no one perished, and that even the relatively few injuries were minor. Those passengers and crew on that flight have been given extended play. I’m sure each person had the feeling that this is how they would die as the engines kicked out right after take off. To die in a plane crash. Not many stories of grace and survival with regards to air travel. Yet they all survived. They were able to walk away. Now who knows how their minds will interpret that outcome. But when Death has been passed over for more Life the opportunity is enormous to make something more out of the time remaining. To see the gift in living on, to see the opportunity to make choices that serve those things that really matter. And that may look totally different for each person, but are no less important. As a survivor myself the only advice I might offer those passengers of the US Air flight is this: do away with the limiting beliefs of what it “should be” and live like you know what matters most to you. Life has added more time to the Game. Play with abandon and love and tremendous gratitude.

I’d like to add a caution here to those who have not survived a near death moment. Don’t go hucking yerself into harms way or take unnecessary risks (unless you’re an adrenaline junky) just to find out what’s important to you. It can be found by sitting quietly in your favorite chair. Or taking a walk in Nature. Use the endless opportunities available to each of us to evaluate what’s most precious to you and go live it.

Go on, go live your Dream. How sweet it is when you finally do…

J

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Losing His Hero

Today in my morning meditation I was strongly feeling my middle brother David who passed away almost two months ago on November 20, 2023. He was 71 years old. A bit of preface here: He also was my abuser growing up (to clarify: emotional and physical, not sexual) and although I had reconciled those experiences through my own inner trauma work we never spoke directly about that time in our lives. We were never very close in our young adulthood although he was very generous when I moved to Encinitas CA to participate in don Miguel Ruiz’s Dreaming School in 2002. He and his wife Carol lived two towns over in Solana Beach. We interacted quite a bit sharing meals and dog walks on the beach and David took a real interest in my son Nick who was 12 at the time. It wasn’t until 20 years later that I became fully aware to the degree of harm I experienced at the hands of my brother while involved in some somatic therapy around my CPTSD diagnosis. I was becoming repeatedly trigg

Waking Up with the What Ifs

Apparently last night I had been dreaming of a life I left behind 11 years ago.  Snippets of memory like peering through a gauzy veil, and scenes vaguely reminiscent of my life as a builder in a small coastal town north of Boston. I woke up with the What Ifs. You know how dreams are: like your eyes can’t completely focus, situations that are seemingly disconnected but maybe not, faces you know but can’t place, yet the feeling in the dream is quite real. I was back in Old Town and trying to figure out why the house I was in was unfinished. There was a meeting to be had there, but it was just me. I walked down a cobbled street to what I figured to be the office of the architect and it was a room of all glass and about 10 people seated around a glass table. I tried to get the attention of the man who was the architect on this particular job without disrupting the meeting. He looked like a friend who wasn’t an architect but a realtor and a neighbor.  I wondered how he switched care

Mindset Like a Dog

This morning after getting the kids off to school I decided to take my dogs for a longer than usual hike on our local mountain. I took a couple big swigs of water, layered up, added hat and gloves, and headed out the gate. The dogs knew what was up and bounced around me, excited and eager for whatever lay ahead. Yet every time they see me putting on my boots it’s like they have never been walked before. Their excitement is fresh. Every day. How is it that they have no idea how long or short I am going to walk them, yet they are always down to walk? I never have to prod them out of their lethargy.  Rain, snow, or sun, they are ready.  Anytime. This got me to wondering what if I adopted this dog mindset? What exactly would that feel like? ******* Recently I’ve felt flat. Not super inspired.  I’m attempting to increase my client base as a Mindset Coach and honestly renovating a 200-year-old house like in my former life feels markedly easier than landing new clients.   It’s the