Skip to main content

Jake and Bodhi

Yesterday I had the pleasure of spending the day with my 3 1/2 year old son Bodhi. His mom requested a day to focus on her book and not be distracted by the boys building and destroying different structures in the rooms outside her office. Bo and I left the house by 8am and went to our favorite breakfast joint - the Atomic Cafe. From there we ran some errands, stopped by one of my projects, and finally headed out of town to begin our adventure.

The first stop was the Wenham Train Museum. We've been there before but it never gets old...many cool trains to check out, tons of other kids and of course the gift shop. Bo loves to pick out a car each time to add to his Leno-esque collection. He even let me pick one out too. Quite generous especially given I was the one buying. Nice work Bo!

From there it was off to Newburyport for some lunch at one of my favorite Mexican joints. Of course Bodhi fell asleep in the truck on the way up and he clung to me like a baby Koala bear as I extracted him for his car seat and walked up the block to the restaurant. He was awake enough to help me polish off a bowl of chips and salsa and then lunch. Mark the date of his first taste of flan. I think he liked it. The kid has a distinctly adult pallet. His love of all types of food is pretty impressive actually. It usually elicits a comment or two from the waitstaff or a fellow diner. After lunch he lay down on the bench seat and started chatting it up with three ladies seated next to us. Sometimes I can't get a read on this guy...he can go mute and clam up tight or just start blabbing away like you're his best friend. No real rhyme or reason to it.

So after lunch we walked back to the truck and on the way stopped into a Life is Good store. We browsed about for a bit and then Bodhi found a super ball with the Life logo and a picture of the little mascot dude - Jake on it. I paid for it and we left. Once back in the truck ready to head off to the Triumph dealer in Hampton, NH I asked Bo if he knew who the guy on the ball was. He said "no papa, who"? His name is Jake and he says life is good. Without missing a beat Bodhi asked " what does he say when life is not good"?

Ahhhhh. To be three years old again and have such a distinct lack of irony. I thought for a second trying to process what he just asked me. Yeah what about when life ain't so grand? What then? I found my feet and replied. Well Bo I guess Jake says just do your best, even when life is not good. Somehow that answer felt too canned, too cliched. Here was one of those moments - an opportunity to share some wisdom with my youngest son. When life sucks just do your best...

That moment came and went like they do. We drove off to the motorcycle dealer and had fun pretend riding the Vespa's in the back room. Chatted a bit with Donnie the owner and bought Bo his first motorcycle. Daytona 675. Scaled down of course...

But Bodhi's questioned loitered about in my brain and I found myself wanting to come up with a better reply. What do we do when things
aren't going good? Do we stress? Do we complain? Do we stop striving to be happier?

I laughed to myself at how simple it really is. Of course that's it. We do our best. We weather the storm. We keep laughing through the tears. We keep forgiving the "mistakes". We keep attempting to love it all. All of it.

You see, Life is good. Just ask Jake and Bodhi.

Comments

Rosemary, Who else said…
JAMIE PLEASE DONT STOP! I am so loving these. So many ways from feeling as if I am there with you and Bo Man to feeling inspired and reminded. Thank You Beautiful!
Rosemary said…
By the way of Course he likes Flan I have infused myself in him :) The little Cuban....
Meghan Gilroy said…
You are a good Papa. Loved hearing about your day and thanks for the quiet time!
Anonymous said…
Sounds like an excellent Daddy day. And, perhaps, an even better Mommy day.

Welcome back to the blog world, Jamie!

Cindy Schieffer

Popular posts from this blog

Losing His Hero

Today in my morning meditation I was strongly feeling my middle brother David who passed away almost two months ago on November 20, 2023. He was 71 years old. A bit of preface here: He also was my abuser growing up (to clarify: emotional and physical, not sexual) and although I had reconciled those experiences through my own inner trauma work we never spoke directly about that time in our lives. We were never very close in our young adulthood although he was very generous when I moved to Encinitas CA to participate in don Miguel Ruiz’s Dreaming School in 2002. He and his wife Carol lived two towns over in Solana Beach. We interacted quite a bit sharing meals and dog walks on the beach and David took a real interest in my son Nick who was 12 at the time. It wasn’t until 20 years later that I became fully aware to the degree of harm I experienced at the hands of my brother while involved in some somatic therapy around my CPTSD diagnosis. I was becoming repeatedly trigg

Waking Up with the What Ifs

Apparently last night I had been dreaming of a life I left behind 11 years ago.  Snippets of memory like peering through a gauzy veil, and scenes vaguely reminiscent of my life as a builder in a small coastal town north of Boston. I woke up with the What Ifs. You know how dreams are: like your eyes can’t completely focus, situations that are seemingly disconnected but maybe not, faces you know but can’t place, yet the feeling in the dream is quite real. I was back in Old Town and trying to figure out why the house I was in was unfinished. There was a meeting to be had there, but it was just me. I walked down a cobbled street to what I figured to be the office of the architect and it was a room of all glass and about 10 people seated around a glass table. I tried to get the attention of the man who was the architect on this particular job without disrupting the meeting. He looked like a friend who wasn’t an architect but a realtor and a neighbor.  I wondered how he switched care

Mindset Like a Dog

This morning after getting the kids off to school I decided to take my dogs for a longer than usual hike on our local mountain. I took a couple big swigs of water, layered up, added hat and gloves, and headed out the gate. The dogs knew what was up and bounced around me, excited and eager for whatever lay ahead. Yet every time they see me putting on my boots it’s like they have never been walked before. Their excitement is fresh. Every day. How is it that they have no idea how long or short I am going to walk them, yet they are always down to walk? I never have to prod them out of their lethargy.  Rain, snow, or sun, they are ready.  Anytime. This got me to wondering what if I adopted this dog mindset? What exactly would that feel like? ******* Recently I’ve felt flat. Not super inspired.  I’m attempting to increase my client base as a Mindset Coach and honestly renovating a 200-year-old house like in my former life feels markedly easier than landing new clients.   It’s the