Skip to main content

The One And Only

New Years Day 2011. I feel like another semi-seismic shift has occured in my awareness today. A kind of adjustment to the way I'm seeing the world around me. It all started when I smelled the ocean. Pretty amazing that our sense of smell can trigger something other than a memory. This morning it led to feeling so totally present and so completely insignificant. So how'd all this come to pass?

A bike ride of course. After getting the morning to sleep in which for me is anything past 7am I eventually suited up and heading out on my 'cross bike. The temp was a delicious 50 degrees and with the snow piled up and melting fast, made it feel like Spring. If only! It has been weeks since my last ride outdoors and it felt good to actually be moving instead of spinning away in my office after work staring at my computer and some inspirational training program. Ahh.

As I made my way towards the town line at Preston Beach the smell of the ocean was deliciously pungent, and very visceral. I took a deep inhale through my nose and felt my lungs slowly fill with this vitalized air. Having lived in this seaside community for the past 14 years I often don't notice my surroundings in such a body centered way. I'm usually wrapped up in my going somewhere and in my truck isolated from the elements. But today on my bicycle I was completely focused on this sensation coming in to me in the form of the ocean smell. The theme of being present was again on my mind and for now that seems to be my mantra...be in this moment and this moment and this moment. I looked down and my legs were spinning a steady tempo as if on auto pilot. That gave me the opportunity to see what was around me. An exspansive ocean. Land jutting out into this ocean. A large city - Boston - framed over water on the horizon. The light was bright but had this thick quality, almost mist like. My legs kept time to this music I was seeing around me.

A thought occurred to me that when my time living near the ocean is over I don't want to have missed any part of the experience. In other words I don't to feel nostalgic about my time here because I didn't fully absorb the experience of being part of such a powerful part of Nature.

Someday when I am living nearer to the mountains I will know the beauty of this place I call my ocean home, and be grateful that I had this time here.

So today I felt full of wonder, gratitude, privilege, and humility. In one hundred years from now no one who is alive right now will still be here. An entirely new group of humanity will be living. It's such a short time we have when you really contemplate it. And it goes by in a blink. Look here it is - the first day of the new year is one hour away from being gone.

What I experienced this morning on my first ride of 2011 was the poignant realization that one day I will merge body mind and soul with that Ocean. And I can't believe how fast it happened.

With love...

Comments

Meghan gilroy said…
Write baby write! Bout time we heard from you...
Rosemary, your Fan for Life said…
AMEN and DITTO write write write! Thank you so much what a great reminder once again to be in each moment. NO REGRETS

I love you Jamie

Popular posts from this blog

Life: Italian Style

This morning I woke up feeling just like I have the entire past month. Dog tired (even after eight hours sleep) and lacking the morning fire I’m so accustomed to. I could feel my frustration build as I mentally scrolled through all that I have to do today. It got even worse when I visited a couple of projects we have going and saw things either not moving fast enough (according to me) or done the way I wanted (again, according to me). Ahhhh. Yet again another beautiful day off to an ugly start. I mean obviously all the ugliness is inside of me as the rest of the world is clearly oblivious to my inner turmoil. That’s cool. So I stopped by the Atomic Café for my morning cappuccino (yeah, yeah, I got it rough huh?) which Andrew so generously gave to me no charge. That was the beginning of a subtle shift inside me. Mellissa was bopping around behind the cash register and I could feel the energy just crackling off of her as she greeted customers as if each one was her favorite pers...

Cold Turkey Ain’t All Bad

Warning: If you’re young and healthy and never think about getting older and the world is your oyster and you are under 50 don’t read any further.     “Going cold turkey”.  The connotation is that we are giving something up.  Usually for good.  Things like heroin, or booze, or Oxy.  Things that really aren’t that good for you.   My cold turkey moment was bicycles.  Wait.  Aren’t bikes supposed to be good for you?  Yes, absolutely in theory.   However, in my case, not so much.  Of course, I loved the feeling of riding a bicycle – the rush of the wind, the freedom of motion, the ability to push my limits, and the boost in fitness.   All healthy benefits for sure. Except when crashes happen.  They will and they do. Typically, it’s some road rash or bloody knees and elbows with dirt applied. In my case it’s been all the usual get offs plus head trauma. It’s the “plus head trauma” that has me hanging up the bike for good.  I just can’t seem to keep from bashing my head when I do ...

Waking Up with the What Ifs

Apparently last night I had been dreaming of a life I left behind 11 years ago.  Snippets of memory like peering through a gauzy veil, and scenes vaguely reminiscent of my life as a builder in a small coastal town north of Boston. I woke up with the What Ifs. You know how dreams are: like your eyes can’t completely focus, situations that are seemingly disconnected but maybe not, faces you know but can’t place, yet the feeling in the dream is quite real. I was back in Old Town and trying to figure out why the house I was in was unfinished. There was a meeting to be had there, but it was just me. I walked down a cobbled street to what I figured to be the office of the architect and it was a room of all glass and about 10 people seated around a glass table. I tried to get the attention of the man who was the architect on this particular job without disrupting the meeting. He looked like a friend who wasn’t an architect but a realtor and a neighbor.  I wondered how he switched care...