Skip to main content

As You Wish - Part Three

Did you get to experience the magic of saying “As you wish” to your beloved? Not to worry, it takes time and a bit of practice. I know you’ll do it and be happier as a result.

I have to apologize to those of you who were waiting with baited breath for the third and final installment yesterday (almost as excruciating as awaiting the final movie of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, but not quite). Life was handing me one of those days where it’s moving so fast and I’m trying to continually keep up – kind of like trying to catch a butterfly with your bare hands. So what’s been going on?

I have received hundreds of perplexed (ok angry) emails asking about my last blog. It seems the proverbial pot got stirred. Here’s a sampling:

What? You must be kidding! Say “as you wish” without question? Isn’t that letting go of our own personal wants and needs?

Doesn’t it mean we’ll be setting ourselves up to be taken advantage of?

What about boundaries? (See Blog: No Pain, No Gain)

What about my boss?

What about my clients?

What about my teenagers?

Are you out of your mind? (Quite possibly)

Wouldn’t my wife/husband ask me to do unreasonable things, or go on endless shopping sprees if I said as you wish?

Ok, first off I recommended trying this with your beloved first before experimenting on anyone else. I am making a HUGE assumption that your beloved will not pretend you’re a contestant on Fear Factor and have you eating handfuls of sea worms. There is a level of respect and trust that is the groundwork for all of this. And it definitely takes faith. Remember this is not about the “me”. It’s about expanding and feeling the magic that can occur between two people when they both open to each other fearlessly. I could respond to each and every email but I won’t.

What I really want to say is that the final leap of faith (As You Wish – Part Three) is about saying that easy little phrase to Life itself. To stand in the face of all the craziness and uncertainty in life that I know we all experience from time to time and say, maybe a bit reluctantly, but say it anyway – AS YOU WISH! Again it’s not about putting yourself in harms way, or being abused, or laying down and giving up. It’s about accepting that Life is happening and you’re a huge part of that. By saying “as you wish” you are letting Life know that you trust Life (just like you trust your beloved). This connection to Life expands as a result, and so do we.

When I look back on all the resistance I felt towards change (Life), I see how much energy I used fighting it. Yet in retrospect I can see how I always was in the perfect place for what I needed to learn in that moment. From where I sit now Life has always brought me exactly what was best for me to keeping growing and changing as a human being. The more I resisted the more I suffered. The more I saw every experience as a link in a chain, or a common thread woven into what is now my beautiful life, the happier I became. Saying “As you wish” to Life is the final leap of faith.

It really is the leap into the unknown. And doesn’t that get your heart racing? I sit here right now at my desk with many things planned for the day. But in reality I have no idea what’s going to happen today no matter how proactive & highly effective I think I am. So what to do?

Just say it. C’mon. Let it slide off your lips. You know. That one simple little phrase.

As you wish!

Have a wonderful day and keep those sea worms where they belong!

J

Comments

Anonymous said…
a very powerful entry. thanks jamie.

Popular posts from this blog

Losing His Hero

Today in my morning meditation I was strongly feeling my middle brother David who passed away almost two months ago on November 20, 2023. He was 71 years old. A bit of preface here: He also was my abuser growing up (to clarify: emotional and physical, not sexual) and although I had reconciled those experiences through my own inner trauma work we never spoke directly about that time in our lives. We were never very close in our young adulthood although he was very generous when I moved to Encinitas CA to participate in don Miguel Ruiz’s Dreaming School in 2002. He and his wife Carol lived two towns over in Solana Beach. We interacted quite a bit sharing meals and dog walks on the beach and David took a real interest in my son Nick who was 12 at the time. It wasn’t until 20 years later that I became fully aware to the degree of harm I experienced at the hands of my brother while involved in some somatic therapy around my CPTSD diagnosis. I was becoming repeatedly trigg

Waking Up with the What Ifs

Apparently last night I had been dreaming of a life I left behind 11 years ago.  Snippets of memory like peering through a gauzy veil, and scenes vaguely reminiscent of my life as a builder in a small coastal town north of Boston. I woke up with the What Ifs. You know how dreams are: like your eyes can’t completely focus, situations that are seemingly disconnected but maybe not, faces you know but can’t place, yet the feeling in the dream is quite real. I was back in Old Town and trying to figure out why the house I was in was unfinished. There was a meeting to be had there, but it was just me. I walked down a cobbled street to what I figured to be the office of the architect and it was a room of all glass and about 10 people seated around a glass table. I tried to get the attention of the man who was the architect on this particular job without disrupting the meeting. He looked like a friend who wasn’t an architect but a realtor and a neighbor.  I wondered how he switched care

Mindset Like a Dog

This morning after getting the kids off to school I decided to take my dogs for a longer than usual hike on our local mountain. I took a couple big swigs of water, layered up, added hat and gloves, and headed out the gate. The dogs knew what was up and bounced around me, excited and eager for whatever lay ahead. Yet every time they see me putting on my boots it’s like they have never been walked before. Their excitement is fresh. Every day. How is it that they have no idea how long or short I am going to walk them, yet they are always down to walk? I never have to prod them out of their lethargy.  Rain, snow, or sun, they are ready.  Anytime. This got me to wondering what if I adopted this dog mindset? What exactly would that feel like? ******* Recently I’ve felt flat. Not super inspired.  I’m attempting to increase my client base as a Mindset Coach and honestly renovating a 200-year-old house like in my former life feels markedly easier than landing new clients.   It’s the