Skip to main content

To What End?

I have a really cool friend. His name is Mitch. I call him Doc cause he’s a chiropractor. I also call him Moshe because he’s Jewish. He’s like an old rabbi who has a twinkle in his eye and a wisdom that runs deep. Mitch isn’t old yet though. He’s a few years younger than me. We have been friends for about 16 years. A long time ago he helped me to integrate a valuable tool into my life. I have been using this tool recently with my business.

On this particular Saturday years ago Mitch and I planned to get together for lunch. Just before the appointed time he phoned and mentioned a long time client just called looking to get adjusted right away. Although Mitch’s office was closed he lived nearby and agreed to meet the client. I was annoyed and said so. I suggested he tell the client he was busy and they could meet later. Mitch very patiently replied that he wanted to help this client to feel better and we could meet afterwards. I was still pissed (why I can’t imagine now – seems pretty insignificant. But that’s a window into who I was back then…a bit of an ass).

Later that day when we got together Mitch explained his point of view. He mentioned how this client had been calling for impromptu appointments for years and was always very appreciative. Mitch would always accommodate this client. He knew that we could get lunch afterwards or if that didn’t work out meet later that day. I still was trying to satisfy my need to be right and asked him why not just tell the client the same thing he just told me? He smiled that sagely smile and said, “to what end”? It was one of those moments I’ll always remember. My whole attitude shifted. You know those times in your life when you get a little crack in your awareness? This was one of those. Yeah, exactly! To what end?

In the past I've had some clients that for whatever reason just were not happy with me. There was a time when I would have fought their judgments, negotiated around their requests, taken exception to their unhappiness. Then there are other clients who change their minds a lot about what they want. And other clients who want to meet in the evening or on a weekend. I used to have an attitude about that. When I apply the Wisdom Of Moshe I smile and ask: to what end?

Maybe someone cuts you off on your way to work. Maybe a customer is rude to you. Maybe your spouse forgot to put away the dishes. Maybe the repair shop doesn’t have your car ready yet. Maybe your mother just called and asked you the same thing she asked you yesterday. Now before you react to any of this I want you to ask yourself a couple of really simple questions.

Am I able to not react?

Will I actually be happier if I do react from a place of anger/frustration/revenge/fear?

And if I do react, what are the consequences? Do I really want to go there?

Then ask yourself one more question.

To what end? Think about it - that simple question can turn a whole situation upside down and backwards. When I ask that question I always get clarity and a sense of well being.

See how easy it is?

Thank you Moshe my own personal rabbi . You’re a real mensch!

J

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life: Italian Style

This morning I woke up feeling just like I have the entire past month. Dog tired (even after eight hours sleep) and lacking the morning fire I’m so accustomed to. I could feel my frustration build as I mentally scrolled through all that I have to do today. It got even worse when I visited a couple of projects we have going and saw things either not moving fast enough (according to me) or done the way I wanted (again, according to me). Ahhhh. Yet again another beautiful day off to an ugly start. I mean obviously all the ugliness is inside of me as the rest of the world is clearly oblivious to my inner turmoil. That’s cool. So I stopped by the Atomic Café for my morning cappuccino (yeah, yeah, I got it rough huh?) which Andrew so generously gave to me no charge. That was the beginning of a subtle shift inside me. Mellissa was bopping around behind the cash register and I could feel the energy just crackling off of her as she greeted customers as if each one was her favorite pers...

Cold Turkey Ain’t All Bad

Warning: If you’re young and healthy and never think about getting older and the world is your oyster and you are under 50 don’t read any further.     “Going cold turkey”.  The connotation is that we are giving something up.  Usually for good.  Things like heroin, or booze, or Oxy.  Things that really aren’t that good for you.   My cold turkey moment was bicycles.  Wait.  Aren’t bikes supposed to be good for you?  Yes, absolutely in theory.   However, in my case, not so much.  Of course, I loved the feeling of riding a bicycle – the rush of the wind, the freedom of motion, the ability to push my limits, and the boost in fitness.   All healthy benefits for sure. Except when crashes happen.  They will and they do. Typically, it’s some road rash or bloody knees and elbows with dirt applied. In my case it’s been all the usual get offs plus head trauma. It’s the “plus head trauma” that has me hanging up the bike for good.  I just can’t seem to keep from bashing my head when I do ...

Waking Up with the What Ifs

Apparently last night I had been dreaming of a life I left behind 11 years ago.  Snippets of memory like peering through a gauzy veil, and scenes vaguely reminiscent of my life as a builder in a small coastal town north of Boston. I woke up with the What Ifs. You know how dreams are: like your eyes can’t completely focus, situations that are seemingly disconnected but maybe not, faces you know but can’t place, yet the feeling in the dream is quite real. I was back in Old Town and trying to figure out why the house I was in was unfinished. There was a meeting to be had there, but it was just me. I walked down a cobbled street to what I figured to be the office of the architect and it was a room of all glass and about 10 people seated around a glass table. I tried to get the attention of the man who was the architect on this particular job without disrupting the meeting. He looked like a friend who wasn’t an architect but a realtor and a neighbor.  I wondered how he switched care...