Skip to main content

No Pain No Gain

Words to live by, no? Well not for me anymore. That used to be my modus operandi (no I am not a masochist). My old story was if I wasn’t in pain then I wasn’t making progress. It amazes me how much I really took that belief to heart. Much of my life has been spent in close relation to pain – whether it was physically through a myriad of accidents, injuries, or operations, or creating emotional pain in my relationships with myself and others. Pain was my friend. We hung out together.

I also prided myself on having a very high pain tolerance. When the relationship to pain becomes as intimate as it did with me, the sensation of pain is virtually welcomed. I got good at concealing pain and just living with it. Over the past 7 or 8 years I have become gradually “pain adverse”. The feeling of pain doesn’t feel as comfortable or as manageable as it used to. I’ve begun to really experience how pleasure feels in my physical and emotional body. It feels really nice.

Pain can also be about boundaries. I’ll give you a good example that happened to me last Tuesday. I went to the dentist for a teeth cleaning. Next life I’m requesting wonderful perfect cavity free teeth. In this life I’m not so lucky. Suffice to say many a dentist has had their fingers in my mouth and it doesn’t bring me joy anymore. So anyway, the hygienist is cleaning my teeth with the spiky pick like instrument probing my gums to see how deep the pockets are. One gum in particular was really tender. I grunted and mumbled that it hurt. (Don’t you get annoyed when with a mouthful of suction devices, tools and fingers dentists think they can carry on a conversation with you?) She kept working it. I asked her to stop. She said she needed to measure the depth and it was for my own health. I explained in a very firm tone that I was there to have my teeth cleaned and if she was going to continue hurting me than I was going to leave.

Now many of you reading this might say “duh”! It’s a no-brainer right to say please stop hurting me? For me it was an epiphany. Normally I would sit there and go through the pain and not say a word. In this case I didn’t feel like being in pain and said so. I felt ecstatic at this simple revelation. I thought back to all the experiences in my life (physical or emotional) that the No Pain No Gain theory was in effect. In so many instances I allowed pain into my life due to a lack of boundaries. What if I made a new choice? What if I said “that hurts, please stop”? Or was the expectation, for whatever distorted reason, to suck it up and take the pain? So much of “being a man” is wrapped around that faulty expectation. Now I make an effort to check in with myself and see how it feels. If it doesn’t feel good I can choose to say no.

I also haven’t given up doing the activities I love (snowboarding, cycling, motorcycling) I now do it without the reckless abandon I used to or without the underlying belief that pain is what I need to experience to feel good. I also have stopped playing in relationships that conjure emotional pain (ok as much as possible – see blog Two Out of Three…). It’s an amazing place to get to after spending so much of my life living the old adage.

I got a new slogan. No Pleasure, No Gain.

Enjoy yourself today!

In light, love, and pain free,

J

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life: Italian Style

This morning I woke up feeling just like I have the entire past month. Dog tired (even after eight hours sleep) and lacking the morning fire I’m so accustomed to. I could feel my frustration build as I mentally scrolled through all that I have to do today. It got even worse when I visited a couple of projects we have going and saw things either not moving fast enough (according to me) or done the way I wanted (again, according to me). Ahhhh. Yet again another beautiful day off to an ugly start. I mean obviously all the ugliness is inside of me as the rest of the world is clearly oblivious to my inner turmoil. That’s cool. So I stopped by the Atomic Café for my morning cappuccino (yeah, yeah, I got it rough huh?) which Andrew so generously gave to me no charge. That was the beginning of a subtle shift inside me. Mellissa was bopping around behind the cash register and I could feel the energy just crackling off of her as she greeted customers as if each one was her favorite pers...

Cold Turkey Ain’t All Bad

Warning: If you’re young and healthy and never think about getting older and the world is your oyster and you are under 50 don’t read any further.     “Going cold turkey”.  The connotation is that we are giving something up.  Usually for good.  Things like heroin, or booze, or Oxy.  Things that really aren’t that good for you.   My cold turkey moment was bicycles.  Wait.  Aren’t bikes supposed to be good for you?  Yes, absolutely in theory.   However, in my case, not so much.  Of course, I loved the feeling of riding a bicycle – the rush of the wind, the freedom of motion, the ability to push my limits, and the boost in fitness.   All healthy benefits for sure. Except when crashes happen.  They will and they do. Typically, it’s some road rash or bloody knees and elbows with dirt applied. In my case it’s been all the usual get offs plus head trauma. It’s the “plus head trauma” that has me hanging up the bike for good.  I just can’t seem to keep from bashing my head when I do ...

Waking Up with the What Ifs

Apparently last night I had been dreaming of a life I left behind 11 years ago.  Snippets of memory like peering through a gauzy veil, and scenes vaguely reminiscent of my life as a builder in a small coastal town north of Boston. I woke up with the What Ifs. You know how dreams are: like your eyes can’t completely focus, situations that are seemingly disconnected but maybe not, faces you know but can’t place, yet the feeling in the dream is quite real. I was back in Old Town and trying to figure out why the house I was in was unfinished. There was a meeting to be had there, but it was just me. I walked down a cobbled street to what I figured to be the office of the architect and it was a room of all glass and about 10 people seated around a glass table. I tried to get the attention of the man who was the architect on this particular job without disrupting the meeting. He looked like a friend who wasn’t an architect but a realtor and a neighbor.  I wondered how he switched care...